Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Managing at home
  • Home
  • Managing at home


If you, a member of your family, or someone you care for are having difficulty getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, we can help with physical changes to your home to make it more suitable for your needs and to help you live at home independently.

Adaptations to your home can be small or large and can include:

  • ramps
  • step alterations
  • grab rails and banisters
  • wider doorways
  • stair lifts
  • wet floor/walk in showers
  • major alterations

The Disabled Facility Grant is for disabled adults and children who:

  • own and live in their own home in Leeds
  • are private tenants
  • are housing association tenants

You can use the grant to help pay for adaptions to make it easier to move around and access your home. This can include:

  • installing ramps and widening doors
  • improving access to rooms with stair lifts or downstairs bathrooms
  • building wet floors or walk in showers

If you would like to apply for the grant, you will need an assessment by Adult Social Care. They will arrange an assessment, which includes an Occupational Therapist visit to your home.

Contact the Social Care team to arrange an assessment

You can also engage private services to help you plan your adaptation, whether that is changes to your bathroom, adding an extension or making your home more accessible by installing ramps. 

View a list of adaptation services on the Leeds Directory


Care and Repair Leeds

If the thought of coordinating a large adaptation feels overwhelming  Care and Repairs private adaptations service can help you get the job done. 

Find out more about Care and Repair's adaptation service


How any alterations to your property are funded will depend on a combination of the overall scope of the alterations, the tenure of your property and your financial situation. This will always be discussed with you before any work is completed.

If you would like to be assessed for adaptations to your home, please call Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

It is worth noting that if you carry out any work that is specifically for someone who has a disability, then you may be eligible for VAT relief on the works

Find out about VAT relief on certain building work if you have a disability |

Last updated: 9/12/2023