Accessibility Statement
Text size:

Housing for over 60's

There is information and advice available to help you design and plan for an age friendly home. Most people want to stay in their own home for as long as possible so if you are thinking ahead, there are plenty of things you can consider to ensure your home can meet your needs for longer as you age.

HOOP Housing Options for Older People is a tool that helps you to consider your current home environment and identifies information you may need to make housing choices for later life.

Housing Lin has information and advice for the design of new build homes and for adapting existing homes to enable people to keep independent and stay in the same home for longer. 

William Merritt Disabled Living Centre provides independent assessments with Occupational Therapists. They have a variety of equipment and adaptations you can try out to be sure they would meet your needs, for example stair lifts, through floor lifts, adapted shower room and adapted kitchen. They can provide advice and lists of suppliers to help give you a place to start.

Supported living for Older people

Leeds City Council provides supporting living services for people who do not want to live in a  care home but are finding it difficult to stay in their own home. 

There are two types of supporting housing available including;

Retirement LIFE (Living in a Friendly Environment) provides a supportive, safe place to live for older people who are over the age of 60.

Tenants have access to a team of support officers who offer regular contact from Monday to Friday. The service is flexible which means as needs change they can alter their contact to make sure the correct support is in place for a tenant to maintain their independence.

There are different types of sheltered housing schemes provided by the council, housing associations and charities. These are available to both rent and buy.

To apply for Retirement LIFE housing contact Leeds Home

The council owns and manages two Extra Care Schemes – Wharfedale View in Yeadon and Cardinal Court in Beeston.  Extra care housing offers an older person independent living in a home of their own, with the benefit of knowing that care is available 24 hours a day. 

Find out more about older persons housing


There are also a number of Housing Associations and private providers also manage Extra Care schemes across Leeds.

View a list of Extra Care Housing providers on Leeds Directory

To apply for a place in extra care housing or for a care assessment, email or phone 0113 222 4401, weekdays from 9am to 5pm, Wednesdays from 10am.


Care Homes

If you are unable to live independently, even with extra support, you may need to consider residential care.  

Find out more about care homes

To make sure you can live as independently as possible in your home, support and specialist equipment is available to make daily tasks easier. Find out about the support and house adaptations you can receive to stay living in your own home by visit out managing at home information pages where you can find information on

  • maintaining your home and garden
  • daily living aids and equipment
  • adaptations

View our information on managing at home

Last updated: 6/10/2024