Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Veterans and Families Hub
  • Home
  • Veterans and Families Hub

Family information and support

Leaving the Armed forces impacts both the Service leaver and their family. Here is some information to support veterans and their families in Leeds.  

National insurance credits can help fill gaps in your National Insurance records. You may be able to get National Insurance credits if you are married or a civil partner of a member of the armed forces and have a contributions gap as a result of going with the on an overseas posting. 

Credits can make sure that you qualify for certain benefits, including the State Pension. 

National Insurance credits for partners of armed forces personnel overseas | GOV.UK

Service personnel with children (reception to year 11) in state schools in England should notify schools of their children’s service status to ensure they are recorded prior to the next autumn census (first Thursday in October) to qualify for Service pupil premium.

Find out more about Service Pupil Premium from

Leeds has made it easier for members of the armed forces to apply for their children’s school places when they move to Leeds. Instead of waiting until you have moved, you can apply for your child's school place before you arrive.      

To get started, you will need to email the council evidence of your armed forces role, such as posting orders.

Please send evidence of your role to us and we can allocate a place for your child before you move to Leeds.

We accept posting orders with quartering or unit addresses as proof that you are moving.

Before you move schools |

Life in the Armed Forces can be stressful for the whole family, and it's important to take a break. 


SSAFA - the Armed Forces Charity offers holidays for a week to families who have a parent or child with a need or disability. Applications are open to all in the Armed Forces community.

Visit the SSAFA website for more information and eligibility criteria

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

RAFBF has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. Their Welfare Breaks programme offers holidays and respite care for both RAF Serving personnel and veterans. Some breaks are exclusive to those with disabilities.

Visit the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund website for more information.


People can become lonely and socially isolated for many reasons such as becoming retired or losing friends and loved ones. Loneliness can be damaging to our mental and physical wellbeing and can affect a persons quality of life. Older veterans can find it hard to engage with traditional services because of their lived experience but there are organisations and services which are there to support them. 

Find out more about preventing loneliness in old age.

Preventing loneliness in old age in England and Wales | Veterans Gateway

Royal British Legion

Royal British Legion branches provide a focal point for social activities, Remembrances and support the Armed Forces community in all kinds of way. In local communities they play a vital role in helping hard to reach individuals and tackling problems like loneliness and isolation. 

Find your local Royal British Legion branch

The Armed Forces and Veterans' Breakfast Clubs

The AFVBC facilitates veterans and serving armed forces personnel to meet face to face in a relaxed, safe, and social environment to enjoy breakfast and banter. Free to attend, free to join. There are no fees, subs or commitments: we don't exist to support any national charity, organisation or business: just turn up, pay for your breakfast and enjoy the company of other Armed Forces Veterans.

Find out more about the AFVBC

Royal Star and Garters has established the Veteran Friendly Framework which is designed for used in residential settings for older people. The Veteran Friendly Framework helps care providers to offer appropriate support for the thousand of veterans living in care homes across England. 

Find our more about the Veteran Friendly Framework

This is a new framework, which sets eight standards providers need to meet as part of their accreditation. Ask your chose residential care home provider about the Veteran Friendly Framework. 

Find our more about care homes as a care option

It is not always easy to know if someone is in crisis, or what to do to support them. 

MindWell has a lot of information about how to spot the signs that someone is having suicidal thoughts and how you can help them. 

How to help someone in a crisis | MindWell

If someone is at immediate risk of hurting themselves or taking their life call 999 and ask for an ambulance, or, go to A&E.

For places to call and face-to-face support in an emotional crisis go to Need urgent help?


Loosing someone important to us can be emotionally devastating. Everyone's experience of bereavement is different and there is no right or wrong way to feel following a bereavement. 

Everyone needs different support as they experiencing the grieving process and speaking to someone who understands your life experience can help with this.

SSAFA offers and emotional support service to the family of veterans as well as veterans experiencing bereavement. Their volunteers can be there to listen to you as you come to terms with your loss and provide advice and signposting to assist you with practical challenges which you are experiencing. 

Loss of a loved one |

Last updated: 10/12/2023
A person putting a supportive arm around another's shoulders

Family information and support

Directory results