Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Guide to buying services
  • Home
  • Guide to buying services

Choosing a Home Support Service

lf you need extra support at home, you can employ a carer directly, either as a Community Enterprise or Personal Assistant, or you can use a care agency. They can help you with:

  • personal care
  • cleaning
  • cooking
  • shopping

A CME is small, locality focused provider of home care/support.  CME’s are viable, sustainable, committed to high standards of practice and won’t let people down.

CME’s are a great option for people looking for home care/support services who want something more personal, bespoke and with more flexibility and consistency from who is supporting them.

All CME’s offer low levels of support/help in the home but some CME’s provide personal care services as sole traders.

Find out more about Community Micro Enterprise Providers.

A Personal Assistant (PA) is someone employed directly by a person who needs support to live their live independently in a way they choose. There are many benefits to employing a PA including that they work for you and you can direct the course of your care yourself.

Find out more about employing a PA and Direct Payments

When you approach a provider, they will ask you for important information about you so that they can provide a tailored support plan. 

These might include;

  • what you will want the person to do, such as things you might need support with or any regular activities you want to be accompanied to
  • important personal information including if the agency staff need to use any moving or lifting equipment or if English is your second language

You can also ask them questions about the service they will provide and how they are going to meet your needs. 

These questions might include;

  • what qualifications and experience do the care workers you employ have?
  • what happens if the care worker is sick or on holiday?
  • what happens if the care worker doesn't show up, or shows up late?
  • what happens if I’m not happy with the work of the person you provide?
  • about their last inspection result if they are registered with the CQC, the health and social care regulatory body. 

As well as checking the Leeds Directory, you can look for an agency by visiting:

United Kingdom Home Care Association (or call 020 8661 8188)

Care Choices Directory (or call 01223 207 770)

Care Quality Commission (CQC) (or call 030 00 616 161)

lf you decide to employ someone directly, you can ask your social worker for help. lf you do not have a social worker, contact the adult social care team on 0113 222 4401.

Last updated: 7/19/2023