Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Care Options

Help in the home

If you need it, a paid carer can regularly visit your home to support you with daily tasks.

This can be long term or just while you get your strength and confidence back after illness or injury.

They can support you with:

  • dressing and undressing
  • getting washed and using the toilet
  • getting in and out of bed

While they are supporting you with these tasks, they can also prepare meals and remind you to take your medicines.

The fastest way to get paid carers is to arrange and pay for them yourself through a care agency. Often their care can include extra help like cleaning, companionship, and getting out and about.

A Community Micro Enterprises (CME) is small, locality focused provider of home care/support.  CME’s are viable, sustainable, committed to high standards of practice and won’t let people down.

CME’s are a great option for people looking for home care/support services who want something more personal and with more flexibility and consistency from who is supporting them.

All CME's can help you attend day time activities and appointments, help you administrative and household tasks and help you build and retain life skills and confidence in and around your home.

All CME’s offer low levels of support/help in the home but some CME’s provide personal care services as well. These providers operate as sole traders and can help with remembering to take medication, support you to use the toilet and with personal care tasks. 

Find out how Leeds Directory works with CME's

View a list of Community Micro Enterprises on Leeds Directory

If you need support with washing, dressing and using the toilet, whether that is long term or just whilst you recover from illness or injury, you may want to engage a care agency to provide your care worker. 

View a list of home care agencies on the Leeds Directory

If you have long term complex health needs, you might qualify for free home care from the NHS. You will need to ask your GP or social worker to arrange an assessment.

Find out more about NHS Continuing Care


If you look after a friend or relative, you might benefit from help around the home so that you can focus on caring for them.

For when you need a break, the person you care for might need respite care (a short break).

Find our more about the advice and support available for unpaid carers


Last updated: 6/5/2024