Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Care Options

Care through the Council

You may be able to get a paid carer as part of a support plan from the council, also known as social care. Care through the council is not free, but you may qualify for help to pay for some or all of it.

Personal assistants are individuals who work with one or more individuals to support them with various aspects of their daily life. 

Personal assistants can help you attend day time activities and appointments, help you administrative and household tasks and help you build and retain life skills and confidence in and around your home. 

Personal assistants are employed by the person receiving the support, and the support is paid through a Direct Payments. 


Direct Payments

Direct payments (DP) are a way for you to have control over your care and support.

A DP is a cash payment made to you to pay for the support required to meet the needs and outcomes agreed in your support plan.

The amount of money available for a direct payment is determined by the completion of a personal budget and a financial assessment and need assessment will decide how much it should cost to get the right care and support to meet a person's needs.

Find out more about Direct Payments

Reablement support can help you get your independence back after an illness, injury or life change. It can last up to 6 weeks.         

Reablement is when someone visits your home to:         

  • support you with everyday tasks like getting washed and dressed
  • help you practise doing tasks yourself
  • find new ways for you to do activities you used to do
  • build your confidence and abilities

Find out more about SkILs Reablement

Contact Adult Social Care to see if reablement is right for you

If a friend or family member usually looks after you, we might suggest you have a paid carer for short visits so that the person who looks after you can go out.         

This is a type of respite care also known as a short break, because it provides a break for the person looking after you. 

The respite carer can visit your home or accompany you on day trips and outings. They can visit once or twice a week and provide up to a maximum of 8 hours of care each week.  

Contact Adult Social Care to see if respite care is right for you


Cost of short break respite care through the council

This type of respite care costs £9.18 an hour if you get it through the council, but you may get help to pay for it.         

Find out more about the cost of services


Recovery hubs provide support for adults who need temporary care to promote faster recovery from illness, prevent unnecessary hospital admission and maximise independent living. This is done by providing short term residential and nursing supports who are medically ready for discharge from hospital, but who required a care and support in their rehabilitation and recovery. 

Find out more about Recovery Hubs

How to apply

To get care through the council, your first step is to talk to Adult Social Care about your needs. 

Find out how to contact Adult Social Care for help

If you already get care and support from the council, contact your social worker or see how to make changes to your care

Last updated: 6/5/2024