Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Money matters
  • Home
  • Money matters

Cost of Living

There are a range of services offering help and advice if you are struggling to pay for food and other household bills

There are a number of routes to support around food support


If you've had a change in circumstances you might be able to claim benefits. 

Check which benefits you can claim at GOV.UK

Contact Welfare Rights Unit for impartial advice and support

Food Banks

There are a number of organisations which provide practical support 

Find out how to get food in an emergency

View food bank and parcel support on the Leeds Directory

Reduce your food costs

Find advice on ways to lower your food bill at Money Saving Expert

For help and advice to eat better and waste less visit the Love Food Hate Waste website


The Local Welfare Support Scheme (LWSS) is an emergency support scheme which can provide support if you are experiencing an emergency or crisis. 

The LWSS can provide support with

  • food and fuel costs
  • the purchase of essential appliances and furniture
  • the purchase of carpets
  • removal costs for people fleeing violence or the threat of violence


To be eligible to access this support you must meet certain criteria, including that you or your partner have not received a previous Local welfare Support awarded in the last 12 months. 

View LWSS eligibility criteria and find out how to apply

If you are struggling to pay your bills the support available to you will depend on your tenancy. 

For help with Rent, mortgages and repairs please visit our Housing information pages. 

For information and support about other types of bills please check below;

Affordable Warmth

We want to make sure that all homes in Leeds are a decent standard and that everyone can afford to stay warm.

If you are finding it difficult to pay your gas and electric bills or you are in arrears you can contact your energy supplier to arrange to pay them back at a more affordable rate.

The Citizens Advice website has information on how to switch supplier for a better energy deal.

Find out more about how to switch energy supplier

Reducing your energy bills

Increasing your home's energy efficiency can make your home easier to keep warm or reduce your fuel bills or both. 

Find out about how to increase your homes energy efficiency

Green Doctors

Groundworks Green Doctors helps residents stay warm, stay well and save money on household bills. They offer free and impartial advice to help you take control of your bills and help you explore money saving options. 

Find our how the Green Doctor can help you

Home Plus

Home Plus is an independent energy advice service. They can help with

  • switching to the cheapest energy deal
  • servicing and repairs to heating and hot water systems
  • energy saving equipment and advice
  • draught proofing and insulation

Find out how to save money on your bills with Home Plus

Better Homes Yorkshire

Better Homes Yorkshire helps residents across Yorkshire pay less for every and live in healthier, warmer homes. Residents in areas supported by Better Homes Yorkshire care able to take advantage of the latest Government funding options to make energy efficiently improvement works to their homes. Better Homes Yorkshire is open to homeowners, private tenants and landlords

Improvments | Better Homes Yorkshire

Communitas Energy CIC

Communitas Energy CIC, in Partnership with Northern Gas Networks, manage an assisted connection voucher scheme, which will either partly or completely cover the cost of a new gas connection.

Find out more about Communitas Energy CIC

Last updated: 7/21/2023