Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Money matters
  • Home
  • Money matters


There are a number of benefits which are available to people, based on eligibility 

You can only make a claim for housing benefit if you:

  • live in supported/exempt accommodation such as a homelessness hostel, a refuge, sheltered housing or accommodation which includes care, support or supervision
  • are a pensioner (if you do have a partner who is under pension age, you have to be in continuous receipt of Pension Credit)
  • or your partner get a benefit that includes a severe disability premium, or if the benefit ended in the last month, continue to be eligible for a severe disability premium.
  • live in temporary accommodation provided by the council

Find out if you are eligible for Housing Benefit and apply online

If you are not eligible for housing benefit you will need to claim Universal Credit. 

Council Tax Support is a council tax discount. It reduces the amount of council tax you have to pay. The size of the discount you get depends on your income. There is a maximum discount of 75%, unless you qualify as a member of a protected group.

You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if you:

  • live in the UK
  • pay council tax
  • are on a low income

Find out if you are eligible for Council Tax Support

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people on a low income or not working. It is administered and paid by The Department for Work and Pensions.

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

If you are currently claiming one of the benefits which Universal Credit has replaced, your benefits will continue as normal unless a change in your circumstances creates a break in your claim.

Find out about how to make a claim for Universal Credits

Find out how to notify a change in your circumstances


If you are not sure what benefits you are entitled to you can get free, confidential, impartial advice and support from Welfare Rights. 

Leeds City Council's Welfare Rights Unit can:

  • give you free, confidential, impartial advice and support on a whole range of welfare benefits
  • help you to complete claim forms over the phone
  • forms we complete will be posted to you to sign, check and forward to the right department
  • offer guidance and support when making appeals
  • check your benefit entitlement and give guidance on using benefit systems

Find out more about the Welfare Rights Unit

Last updated: 6/12/2024