Accessibility Statement
Text size:

There is a range of equipment available to help us feel confident in the kitchen. From kettle tippers and walkers with frames to help prevent hot spills to bread boards and knives to help avoid accidents with sharp knives there are a lot of options available to you.

Equipment can be privately purchased from a wide range of retailers both online and on the high street.  If you feel that you need further information or advice please call Adult Social Care on 0113 2224401 to make a referral.  Someone will call you back to discuss the difficulties you are having and if necessary, arrange for an assessment when equipment may be provided to you, from Leeds Equipment Service, free of charge. 

Back to the house

Flood detector

Black box with sensorA flood detector can be useful if someone keeps leaving taps running. This unit is usually mounted on the skirting board of the sink or bath to be monitored. When it detects water on the floor it alerts either a 24 hour response centre, or an internal carer alert alarm. 



If you are interested in ordering one of Leeds City Councils telecare packages you can complete an online application form or over the phone.

Leeds City Council Tele Care Team

Phone 0113 378 2991

There are also private providers of telecare alarm systems. You can find and buy these services and products online by 

Find out more about staying safe in your home


Flood detectors can be added to an existing Telecare package.

The contact centre will follow an agreed plan and alert contacts so a carer or nominated person can be notified.

Things to consider

depending on the layout and size of your kitchen multiple units may be required.