Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Information Index Page
  • Home
  • Information Index Page

Money Matters

Council Tax Support is a council tax discount. It reduces the amount of council tax you have to pay. The size of the discount you get depends on your income. There is a maximum discount of 75%, unless you qualify as a member of a protected group.

You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if you:

  • live in the UK
  • pay council tax
  • are on a low income

Find out if you are eligible for Council Tax Support.

You can only make a claim for housing benefit if you:

  • live in supported/exempt accommodation such as a homelessness hostel, a refuge, sheltered housing or accommodation which includes care, support or supervision
  • are a pensioner (if you do have a partner who is under pension age, you have to be in continuous receipt of Pension Credit)
  • or your partner get a benefit that includes a severe disability premium, or if the benefit ended in the last month, continue to be eligible for a severe disability premium.
  • live in temporary accommodation provided by the council

If none of the above apply to you, you will need to claim Universal Credit.

Find out of if you are eligible for Housing Benefit and apply online.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people on a low income or not working. It is administered and paid by The Department for Work and Pensions.

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

If you are currently claiming one of the benefits which Universal Credit has replaced, your benefits will continue as normal unless a change in your circumstances creates a break in your claim.

Find out about how to make a claim for Universal Credits.

Find out how to notify a change in your circumstances.

Leeds City Council's Welfare Rights Unit can:

  • give you free, confidential, impartial advice and support on a whole range of welfare benefits
  • help you to complete claim forms over the phone
  • forms we complete will be posted to you to sign, check and forward to the right department
  • offer guidance and support when making appeals
  • check your benefit entitlement and give guidance on using benefit systems

Find out more about the Welfare Rights Unit.

We want to make sure that all homes in Leeds are a decent standard and that everyone can afford to stay warm.

If you are finding it difficult to pay your gas and electric bills or you are in arrears you can contact your energy supplier to arrange to pay them back at a more affordable rate.

The Citizens Advice website has information on how to switch supplier for a better energy deal.

Reduce your fuel bills

Increasing your home's energy efficiency can make your home easier to keep warm or reduce your fuel bills or both. There are some grants and schemes available to increase your homes energy efficiency.

Last updated: 10/22/2020