Help is available for those who need support moving around the home and want to maintain their independence.
Extra Care Housing
Extra care housing offers older people independent living in a home of their own, with the benefit of knowing that care is available 24 hours a day.
The developments are usually close to shops, leisure and health services and public transport. They provide a place for older people who need emotional, practical or social support to maintain their wellbeing.
In extra care housing:
- residents can stay as active as they want and have access to a 24-hour care and support team
- residents are a tenant or leaseholder with their own front door to a self-contained living space
- there are opportunities for social interaction
- couples who have different care needs are supported to stay together
- residents can stay independent and choose how they would like to be supported as they grow older
Retirement LIFE Housing
Retirement LIFE (Living in a Friendly Environment) provides a supportive, safe place to live for older people who are over the age of 60.
Tenants have access to a team of support officers who offer regular contact from Monday to Friday. The service is flexible which means as needs change they can alter their contact to make sure the correct support is in place for a tenant to maintain their independence.
There are different types of sheltered housing schemes provided by the council, housing associations and charities. These are available to both rent and buy.