lf you need extra support at home, you can employ a carer directly, either as a Community Enterprise or Personal Assistant, or you can use a care agency. They can help you with:
- personal care
Community Micro Enterprise (CME) Providers
A CME is small, locality focused provider of home care/support. CME’s are viable, sustainable, committed to high standards of practice and won’t let people down.
CME’s are a great option for people looking for home care/support services who want something more personal, bespoke and with more flexibility and consistency from who is supporting them.
All CME’s offer low levels of support/help in the home but some CME’s provide personal care services as sole traders.
Find out more about Community Micro Enterprise Providers.
A Personal Assistant (PA or Support Worker) is someone employed directly by a person who needs support to live their live independently in a way they choose. There are many benefits to employing a PA including that they work for you and you can direct the course of your care yourself.
You can find out more about the benefits of employing a PA and get support in the process of recruiting a PA by visiting the Leeds CIL website.
Finding A Care Agency
If you decide that support from a more traditional care agency is right for you remember to speak to more than one agency, so you can compare deals and get the best offer. When you approach each agency, make a list of important information they will need to know and what you would like to know, including:
- what you will want the person to do, such as things you might need support with or any regular activities you want to be accompanied to
- important personal information including if the agency staff need to use any moving or lifting equipment or if English is your second language
- checking if the agency is registered with the CQC, the health and social care regulatory body.
- what qualifications and experience do the care workers you employ have
- what happens if I’m not happy with the work of the person you provide
- what happens if the care worker doesn't show up, or shows up late
As well as checking the Leeds Directory, you can look for an agency by visiting:
United Kingdom Home Care Association (or call 020 8661 8188)
Care Choices Directory (or call 01223 207 770)
Care Quality Commission (CQC) (or call 030 00 616 161)
lf you decide to employ someone directly, you can ask your social worker for help. lf you do not have a social worker, contact the adult social care team on 0113 222 4401.